At Polaris, we are actively monitoring the evolving situation with the coronavirus (COVID-19) and are fully prepared to handle the pandemic. Read more

Transportation industry downloads

Customs Solutions


Shipping to Canada

Frequently Asked Customs Questions

  1. I have never shipped to Canada. What do I need?

    You need a Canadian Customs broker who will clear your freight. Once you have a broker, you must contact a cross-border carrier that will be able to provide you with a PARS number

  2. What documents do I need in order to ship to Canada?

    You will need a Customs invoice, a certificate of origin/NAFTA agreement. This will be explained to you by the Customs broker of your choosing.

  3. Do I need a customs broker in order to ship to Canada?

    Yes. The Customs broker will file your shipment electronically and also calculate your duties and taxes that must be paid.

  4. Do I need to use H.S codes to classify my freight?

    Yes. All commodities must be classified using the tariff numbersystem.

  5. Do I need a Canadian carrier in order to move shipments into Canada?

    No. You will however need a carrier that does border crossings. Whether U.S. or Canadian, the carrier must be a cross border carrier and have a driver that can cross the border as well.

  6. Do I pay duties on my shipment?

    Yes. Duties and taxes are applicable on most shipments. Your Customs broker will be better able to advise you of the duties and also rebates that you may be eligible for.

  7. With the “Free Trade Agreement” does this mean my freight crosses the border for free?

    No. The Free Trade Agreement simply refers to certain tariffs and duties that no longer apply between trade

  8. Do I need country of origin markings on my freight?


For a downloadable PDF version of our FAQs click here or for our Glossary of Terms click here.

Downloadable Customs Documents

Shipping documents

Have a Customs Question?


Send Us a Message!

Transportation security logos